Presented by Starlifter Wealth Management and Produced by Treasure Valley Children’s Theater
The 2017 submission deadline has past. 195 plays are now being reviewed and vetted by regional and national adjudicators. The 8 selected plays will be announced in July. If you’re interested in performing in the festival, please scroll down to the ‘Actors’ section.
What is “8 in 48 Idaho”
The “8 in 48 Idaho” Short Play Festival, produced by Treasure Valley Children’s Theater, celebrates new works written and produced for young audiences and performed by adults.
How It Works
The festival premiers eight professional, family-friendly, ten-minute plays. A national call for submissions generates scripts entries from February through May. The submissions are screened by a national panel of theater artists. Winning playwrights are notified in July and the top eight plays are produced by a local team of directors and community actors. The plays premiere in September as a benefit performance.
Selected playwrights can win cash awards totaling $500.00. Awards are offered in three categories: Screeners Choice, Audience Choice and Honorable Mention. Play submissions are open to any playwright whether aspiring or experienced.
Submissions for the 2017 festival have closed and the 195 plays entered are currently being adjudicated. Playwrights will be notified in July.
The 2015 festival received over 120 entries. A panel of screeners narrowed submissions to 32 and after a second screening identified 8 finalists and 2 honorable mentions.
The 2015 finalists were (in no particular order):
- A Game of Chicken by Melanie Ewbank, Prescott, AZ
- A Skink’s Tale by Maureen Brady Johnson, Oberlin, OH
- Aleema Wants a Haircut by Rex McGregor, St. Auckland, New Zealand
- In a Nutshell – Butterbean’s Lecture by Bryan J. Finnigan, SanDiego, CA
- The Ugly Duckling by Stacy Lane, Miamisburg, OH
- Devushka and the Cat by Kaysy Ostrom, Bellevue, WA* WINNER OF THE FESTIVAL
- The Littlest Fairy by Paige Hoke, York, PA
- Show and Tell by Jenny Lyn Bader, NewYork, NY
- Honorable Mention: An Atmosphere to Peanut and Jelly Sandwich Convertor & Memories for Sale by Lavinia Roberts, Brooklyn, NY
- Honorable Mention: Nick Tickle, Fairy Tale Detective, in: The Curious Case of H. Dumpty by Steph DeFerie, Harwich, MA
Producing a festival like 8 in 48 Idaho takes a lot of local talent! We invite actors ages 14 and up to participate in the festival. Open auditions are held Friday, September 8 by appointment. Casting is announced shortly after the dinner hour and rehearsal begins immediately. Directors may rehearse actors to 11p.m. and begin again on Saturday as early as 8a.m.
- You do not have to be an experienced actor to audition, we welcome all skill levels!
- You do have to audition to participate and there is a slim chance we won’t have a stage role for you but we will certainly use your talents to support the festival.
- Auditions are closed to actors ages 14 and older unless personally invited by the festival producers. Invitations to younger actors are limited to TVCT students only.