Presented by Starlifter Wealth Management and Produced by Treasure Valley Children’s Theater
2017 Submissions Accepted Feb. 1 – May 31, 2017
If you’re having trouble submitting your play, please contact Julia.
What is “8 in 48 Idaho”
The “8 in 48 Idaho” Short Play Festival, produced by Treasure Valley Children’s Theater, celebrates new works written and produced for young audiences and performed by adults.
How It Works
The festival premiers eight professional, family-friendly, ten-minute plays. A national call for submissions generates scripts entries from February through May. The submissions are screened by a national panel of theater artists. Winning playwrights are notified in July and the top eight plays are produced by a local team of directors and community actors. The plays premiere in September as a benefit performance.
Selected playwrights can win cash awards totaling $500.00. Awards are offered in three categories: Screeners Choice, Audience Choice and Honorable Mention. Play submissions are open to any playwright whether aspiring or experienced.
The 2015 festival received over 120 entries. A panel of screeners narrowed submissions to 32 and after a second screening identified 8 finalists and 2 honorable mentions. Click this link to read the July 15 press release.
The finalists were (in no particular order):
- A Game of Chicken by Melanie Ewbank, Prescott, AZ
- A Skink’s Tale by Maureen Brady Johnson, Oberlin, OH
- Aleema Wants a Haircut by Rex McGregor, St. Auckland, New Zealand
- In a Nutshell – Butterbean’s Lecture by Bryan J. Finnigan, SanDiego, CA
- The Ugly Duckling by Stacy Lane, Miamisburg, OH
- Devushka and the Cat by Kaysy Ostrom, Bellevue, WA
- The Littlest Fairy by Paige Hoke, York, PA
- Show and Tell by Jenny Lyn Bader, NewYork, NY
- Honorable Mention: An Atmosphere to Peanut and Jelly Sandwich Convertor & Memories for Sale by Lavinia Roberts, Brooklyn, NY
- Honorable Mention: Nick Tickle, Fairy Tale Detective, in: The Curious Case of H. Dumpty by Steph DeFerie, Harwich, MA
The 2017 “8 in 48 Idaho” Short Play Festival is supported by:
If your business is interested in supporting the 2017 festival, please contact Autumn.
The 2017 “8 in 48 Idaho” Staff
- Valerie Baugh, Submissions Coordinator
- Julia Bennett, Managing Director
- Autumn Kersey, Producer
- Emily Leavitt, Event Coordinator
- Josh Nelson, Technical Director